After a big holiday party, your refrigerator is most likely exploding with mounds of leftovers. But you do not have to spend the week making ham or turkey sandwiches — with a little imagination, these boring leftovers can be transformed into new, delicious recipes. Below are three favorites to help inspire your leftover food transformation!
Ham and Swiss Quiche
- 1 9-inch pie pastry
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves (dried)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups ham (cooked and cubed)
- 1-1/2 cups Swiss cheese (shredded; or Havarti cheese)
- 1 cup spinach (frozen, chopped, thawed and well drained)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare pie crust and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, place half and half, eggs, honey mustard, flour, salt, thyme, and pepper and beat until combined.
- Layer the cubed ham, Swiss cheese, and spinach in the prepared pie crust. Pour the egg mixture slowly into the pie crust and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the quiche for 40-50 minutes until crust is golden and filling is set.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut into wedges to serve.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoon flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth or turkey broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken, sliced
- 4 English muffins, split with fork and toasted
- Heat butter in heavy saucepan. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper and cook and stir until tender.
- Sprinkle in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme and cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and cream and stir well with wire whisk. Bring to boiling and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir a small amount of sauce into the egg yolks to heat and temper. Stir tempered egg yolk mixture into the rest of the sauce and return saucepan to heat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly. remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Stir until smooth and melted.
- Place sliced turkey or chicken on each split, toasted English muffin and pour sauce over each. Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired, and broil 4-7 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly. Watch this carefully while broiling!
Triple Chocolate Candy Cane Kisses
- 4 3-oz. chocolate bars
- 2 semisweet chocolate bars
- 1 milk chocolate bars
- 1 white chocolate bars
- 1/2 c Crushed candy canes
- Melt the 3 kinds of chocolate in 3 separate bowls.
- Stir half of the crushed candy into the semisweet chocolate.
- Reserve a bit for sprinkling; stir the remainder into the milk and white chocolates.
- Drop teaspoons of the semisweet onto a parchment-lined tray.
- Top with 1 dollop each of the milk and white chocolates.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy.
- Let harden.